Monday, October 25, 2010

Publicity Photos & Graphics- Picking the Best.

So, let me ask you a question:

Who doesn't like picture books? I don't think I can name one.. not even one.. person who does not like picture books- at least when they were kids.

Every kid likes picture books.

Well, photos and graphics within an article is for the picture book loving kid inside of each of us. By adding a photo, readers are automatically become attracted to the article.

Basically, majority of readers prefer to see a story told through a photo rather than reading the text in print. Even if they don't remember exactly what the article said, they will always remember the photo that accompanied it.

What makes a photo good, you might ask?

Always submit only high resolution images with good contrast and sharp details. A pixilated photo will never make it. Just throwing that out there- you can take it, or you can throw it right back.

Some things to consider before submitting:

  • Show perspective- zoom in or out so that readers get an idea of true size, etc...
  • Show action- avoid posey posey pictures (think journalism not Olan Mills).
  • Show the main idea- too many people in a photo can come off tacky or distracting.
  • Show a caption to include that explains the image.
  • Show faces when possible- backs and sunglasses are more for the witness protection situations.
Some things to consider when writing captions:
  • A caption should introduce the people in the picture and give an idea to what is going on in the photo.
  • They are usually two to four sentences long.
  • When introducing the people in the photo, include Name (first and last) and age.

1 comment:

  1. I love these tips! When I read this chapter, my eyes were opened to so many more methods and techniques for taking photographs. Being a photographer, I've never actually had any lessons or classes or tips hitched to me. I kind of just picked it up on my own and played with my Canon Rebel XSi until I thought I had somewhat of an idea about photography. I'd like to think I have a pretty good eye when taking pictures and hope to improve more in the skill. My favorite of these ideas is getting different perspectives in a frame, and as the photographer, moving around quite a bit. Getting a workout! Many of these suggestions would not have even occurred to me without reading. Now i just have to apply them to my hobby!

    ReplyDelete